Our COVID-19 Response
Welcome to our COVID response page. Below you’ll find all the critical information about how I.S. 291K is changing the way we operate to reduce the risk of COVID infection. We are doing everything we can to make sure staff, students, and families are safe. Please check back regularly, as we will update the information here as conditions change.
We have put safety procedures in place to keep our students and staff healthy.
- Masks: Masks must be worn inside IS 291 at all times by all adults and students. If your child is unable to wear a mask for medical reasons, they must have an excuse signed by a doctor on file in the office.
- Handwashing: Students and staff are expected to wash hands thoroughly before and after eating, after using the bathroom, if exposed to body fluids (like saliva or a sneeze), and at other times necessary throughout the day.
- Drop-off and pickup procedures: Please maintain social distancing between families during drop-off and pickup. Parents are not allowed to enter the building with their child unless arrangements have been made in advance with the office. Please move through the drop-off and pickup line as quickly as possible to make room for families behind you.
- Visiting our school: We are limiting visitors to the school during this time. Most parent-teacher conferences and other meetings can be held virtually. All visits must be pre-approved and scheduled with the office.
- Illness: Students and staff exhibiting signs of illness or having a fever of greater than 99.9°F must stay home. If you or someone you know has COVID-19 (or shows symptoms of COVID-19 such as coughing or fever), it is required that you stay home or at a designated care facility for a minimum of 14 days. Please contact us via phone or email as soon as possible.
- Directions for local COVID testing: Please visit the NYS Coronavirus Find a Test Site page to find a test site closest to you.
Guidelines for In-Person Attendance
All parents are encouraged to take their child's temperature prior to bring them to school.
The child must stay home if they show a temperature higher than 99.9 degrees.
Remote Learning Expectations
During hybrid or 100% remote learning, your child is expected to complete all assignments provided by the teacher. At the same time, we recognize that working independently at home is different and difficult for many students, so we want to provide flexibility.
- Students and families should check Google Classroom daily for important updates from their teachers.
- When signing in for virtual classes or meetings, students are expected to be on time, appropriately dressed, and ready to learn. We suggest signing in 5 minutes before class starts. Please try to reduce background noise and distractions as much as possible.
Meals Hubs will operate for children and families from 7:30 am to 11:30 am, and for adults from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm.
No one will be turned away at any time • All adults and children can pick up multiple meals at one time • Vegetarian and halal options available at all sites
We are committed to making sure that all students can successfully connect to online learning during their at-home learning days.
- If your student needs a laptop or tablet, fill out the Device Request Form to reserve your device. Borrowing a device is free!
- If your students experience internet-connectivity issues with their iPads, they can request help through the Technical Support for Families form.
- Borrowed devices should be used for school purposes only and kept in a secure location. Take your device with you on in-school days.
- If you are not able to get internet hooked up in your home, your child's teacher will work with you to provide alternative offline assignments.
- If you are having trouble connecting to Google Classroom, Google Hangouts, or any of our online learning resources, contact your teacher.
Step #1: Email
Students can learn how to find their DOE accounts and log in - Student Accounts login (DOE Website). You will use this account to communicate with teachers.
Step #2: Google Classroom
Google Classroom: Click Here
This is where all teachers will upload the links to all your core classes: Math, ELA, Social Studies, Science, Art and Physical Education.